Delhi reports 10,665 cases of Covid, 11.8% positivity

The government, however, said there was no need to panic and to be vigilant, disciplined and prepared, adding that the country would also face this phase of the pandemic. An upsurge in infections is occurring in cities. Omicron is the predominant circulating strain and mass gatherings should be avoided to reduce the rate of spread of infection.

There has been an increase in Covid cases around the world as 25.2 lakh cases were recorded worldwide on January 4, the highest since the start of the pandemic, officials said. India has reported more than 6.3 times as many Covid cases in the past eight days. There was a sharp increase in the positivity of cases, from 0.79% on December 29 to 5.03% on January 5, they said.

In the nation’s capital, as cases continue to rise unabated, more than 100 health workers from the Indian Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) have tested positive for Covid-19, over the past week. In the past 24 hours, India has recorded a massive jump of 56% in new cases – 58,097. This is the highest level during a period of sharp increase since the start of the pandemic. The new infections are more than 20,000 higher than the count of 37,123 recorded on Monday.

India’s Omicron tally broke the 2,000 mark on Tuesday with an additional 153 cases, bringing the total number of patients to 2,043. The variant is now spread across 24 states and UTs nationwide, with new cases being recorded in Meghalaya. Amid the steadily rising infections, schools in Uttar Pradesh will remain closed until January 15, the state government said.

The state government has also placed restrictions on movie theaters, shopping malls, swimming pools, while the nighttime curfew from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. will continue. Meanwhile, Maharashtra reported the highest Omicron cases, with 75 new Omicron cases the total rose to 653. Mumbai reported 40 new Omicron cases for the second day in a row on Tuesday, bringing the city’s total number to 408. Of the total Omicron cases in the state, 259 were released following a negative RT-PCR test. BMC commissioner IS Chahal in a TV interview said experts say Omicron was responsible for 80% of Covid cases in Mumbai, reducing the Delta variant to the remaining 20%.

Currently, Omicron is said to be the dominant variant across the world. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released their latest estimates on Tuesday, indicating that the omicron variant accounted for 95% of new coronavirus infections last week. The CDC is using genomic surveillance data to make projections on which versions of COVID-19 viruses cause new infections the most. The CDC said more than 99.5% of coronaviruses were delta at the end of November.

Along with the United States, Omicron could become a dominant coronavirus strain in Singapore over the next two months, completely replacing the Delta variant, a senior infectious disease expert has warned. Meanwhile, France reported the largest single-day record with 2,71,686 cases and Australia recorded 47,799 new cases.

Read all Recent news, recent news and Coronavirus news here.


Source link