Some Ky. tornado victims may be eligible for continued housing assistance

KENTUCKY (WFIE) – Some Kentucky residents who received initial rental assistance from FEMA due to damage from the December tornado are eligible for continued rental assistance.

This includes residents of Hopkins, Muhlenberg, and Ohio counties.

Officials say these residents can get continued housing assistance while they look for more permanent housing.

They say it would require demonstrating your storm-related financial needs and showing that you are developing a long-term or permanent housing plan.

Fifteen days after receiving your initial housing assistance grant, FEMA will mail you a “Request for Continuing Temporary Housing Assistance”. You must complete the form and document your need for continued tenancy assistance by providing:

  • A copy of your current lease
  • Receipts showing proper use of federal disaster housing assistance
  • Your current household income
  • Any household financial obligations you may have

Sign the application and mail it, along with your supporting documents, to FEMA, PO Box 10055, Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055.

If you can’t get into your home to find these documents or if the originals were destroyed during the tornadoes, officials say call the FEMA Hotline at 800-621-3362.

If you created an account on DisasterAssistance.govyou can upload documents through the Upload Center in your online account.

Officials say extended housing assistance can be granted for three-month periods up to 18 months from the date of the presidential disaster declaration, which was December 12.

Your rental can be a house, apartment, hotel, or recreational vehicle that can keep you close to your job, home, and place of worship.

Assistance covers rent, security deposit, and essential services such as hydro and water, but not cable or internet.

To request FEMA assistance, visit DisasterAssistance.govuse the FEMA mobile app or call FEMA Hotline at 800-621-3362.

Copyright 2022 WFIE. All rights reserved.